Thursday, October 1, 2020

Friday Focus - October 2, 2020


Great Things I Noticed this Week:

  • A student me she is planning to write her own E+R=O Ted talk. I know the videos I shared weren't that amazing, so there must have been some good advisory discussions!
  • 6th graders got to start playing their instruments in band with their new precautions (specialized instrumental masks/bell covers). They were SO great I didn't even realize it was their first day playing!
  • 7th graders learning to use the microscopes in science class. 
  • Great communication/teamwork on a number of situations to share concerns about students. You all do such a great job of creating a safety net to make sure a student doesn't go unnoticed. I saw you at work for this for a number of reasons this week: mental health concern, cleanliness, notice of lack of engagement, concerns for home, etc.  
Upcoming Events:
Workout Wednesday is also the day of after school staff flu shots
*Ava Strong pizza lunch fundraiser (details below)

If you are trying to find me to meet with me, I know I'm hard to find on the run (sorry, I'm good at getting my fitbit steps!) You are best off going here to schedule a meeting with me or contacting Laura/Linda. 

"Nuts & Bolts" Notes:
*Just a friendly reminder to set your towel buckets, your garbage/recycling can and your rejuvenal bottle (if it needs filling) outside your classroom door at the end of the day.  Custodians start their day at 3pm and this will help them to efficiently complete the many tasks on their plates.  (Please feel free to ask your students to help with this too.)

*In addition, there will be a small dustpan and whisk broom brought to classrooms so that students can use them to clean up spills, crumbs, etc beneath their desk. Insert mom voice--make a mess, clean it up!  (Large brooms are too difficult for lots of students, but this way there is a tool for students to use.) 

*Ava Strong Fundraiser: On Wednesday, October 7, there is a fundraiser at Piggly Wiggly from 10-5pm to benefit Dodgeland student, Ava Finger and the medical costs her family is incurring following her mountain biking accident.  (*If you want to see updates of how resilient she is, check out frequent updates HERE). The fundraiser is a meal of a slice of pizza, bag of chips and a bottle of soda for $5.  (The entire $5 will be going directly to Ava.). Please share with your family and friends and consider participating.  I will email on Monday of how staff can order ahead of time and we will deliver to you for lunch. 

*Health Minds at Work: Just a reminder about Dr. Thompson's email about the  Healthy Minds @ Work program.  In order to begin this process, there is a confidential well-being assessment that takes approximately 10 min.  If you'd like to participate, please do so by Oct 14, which is the first day of our 30 day challenge.  Click here for the well-being assessment.

P/T Conferences: Due to the pandemic, our traditional Parent/Teacher conferences have been canceled for 10/15 & 10/22. Communication with parents is important, so there we are working on how we can still update parents on current academic/progress. Information will come later regarding how you will be able to contribute comments for reports that will inform parents.  Thank you for the many emails/parent phone calls you have already been making to reach out to parents for positives and concerns to support for growth!

PowerTeacher Pro - an email will be out soon with the recording of our meeting, along with additional information to support you. For now, I'll provide you with some humor. I've been frustrated for years with a situation in my house. So I decided to create proficiency targets to communicate my expectations and provide my family members with feedback on their performance:


And some more humor (because we all need to laugh)!

You all know I love Friends and this montage perfectly describes 2020 by Friends! -BTW Ross and Rachel's daughter Emma is now 18 and the time capsule they created on her 1st birthday can be opened!




No comments:

Post a Comment